Monday, January 16, 2012

Too Cold?? Too bad.

Growing up as an Illinois girl, I got to know what a cold winter really is. I vividly remember the frigid snaps when you wouldn't see the plus side of zero for weeks on end. It was the kind of weather that would actually hurt you when you stepped outside.

That being said, I've gone soft. This is my third winter in Virginia, where the average temperature hovers around 35-40 degrees. Now... when the temperature dips lower than that, I (like a lot of the natives I've met here) believe the end is near, and it's absolutely freezing outside.

This doesn't translate well for morning running. I was freaking out because I was scheduled to run 8 miles this weekend, and the temperature wasn't going to get much higher than freezing. I mean freaking out. I thought about it all day on Friday, and when I woke up on Saturday I was dreading the next couple of hours.

But... I had a cache of new weapons: my Christmas presents. This year cold compression running gear was under the tree. I bundled up. A lot. Two cold compression shirts, running tights, a fleece vest, headband, neck warmer and gloves. So I didn't look like a supermodel...

...but I stayed warm and had a GREAT run. I mean great. I did a little over seven and a half miles, and didn't walk once. It's definitely the longest continuous run I've done in... well... I don't really know how long, and I felt fantastic.

I guess it just proves that cold weather won't always win, and this really is getting easier week by week. I'm starting to get excited about what I will be able to do in a matter of months!

This week's training schedule is posted below, and this week's Marathon Monday piece on NBC29 can be found here! Have a great week... and I promise to stop embarrassing my fellow Illinoisians and deal with the cold like a real Midwesterner.

Week Five Training Schedule:

Sunday- Off (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Monday- Off (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Tuesday- Run 5 miles
Wednesday- Run 6 miles
Thursday- Run 4 miles
Friday- Off (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Saturday- Run 10 miles


1 comment: