Monday, January 23, 2012

Learning My Long Run Lesson

I personally believe that the term “wintry mix” is just weatherman-speak for the crappiest weather ever. Is it rain? Is it snow? Is it sleet? Well, you’re in luck! It’s all three! That’s what we had going this weekend, and my 10 mile run was delayed, and delayed again.

I think I would have ultimately survived if I would have just sucked it up and hit the road, but I would have hated every second of it. So at the time, I thought my best course of action was to push it into the workweek.

Now Workweek Me hates Weekend Me. This general feeling of regret is a common occurrence. Weekend Libby likes to spend her time lounging around, not getting things done, and pushing all undesirable tasks onto her poor unsuspecting counterpart. Workweek Me always gets the short end of the stick in that way.

This weekend that undesirable task just happened to be my weekly long run.

Definitely not worth it.

So now here I am on a Monday night, staring down the barrel at a 10 mile run that should have been completed days ago. This will mess up my schedule a little, because I will have to take a couple off days (Wed. and Fri.) to be ready for my 12 mile run this coming weekend.

So I’m officially saying it: I have learned my long run lesson.

Unless it is a downpour, a blizzard or a tornado, I will be out there on Saturday mornings… slowly working my way to my goal.

The week six training schedule is posted below. It isn’t exactly what I will be following for the reason I gave above. You can also find the most recent NBC29 Marathon Monday segment here. This week I focused on sports psychology. I got to meet two awesome women who impressed me so much!

A friend also posted this on my Facebook wall. I think it sums things up quite nicely. Enjoy!




Training schedule for the week of 01/22

Week Six Training Schedule, designed by Trainer Dan Bayliss

Sunday- Off  (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Monday- Off (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Tuesday- Run 5 miles
Wednesday- Run 6 miles
Thursday- Run 4 miles
Friday- Off (or non-weight bearing exercise)
Saturday- Run 12 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment