Friday, December 9, 2011

It's a mental thing...

I went to a marathon this past weekend and talked to some of the runners after they crossed the finish line. Every one of them was dead tired. One was cramping up while we were speaking. Another had a streak of blood on his shirt. I'm guessing it was a result of chaffing... somewhere. I didn't ask.

Two things were consistent with everyone I spoke with, from the man who had just finished his 25th marathon, to those not quite as seasoned. One... everyone was happy. Granted they were happy and in pain... but still happy. I don't know if it was because they were finally done running, if it was a matter of pride, or a combination of a million things, but the end result was the same: a post-race glow.

The second common thread: every last person I talked with said a major part (if not THE major part) of getting through a race is mental. Pushing through the pain. Getting over the hump. Mind over matter. Whatever cliche you want to use, the end result is the same: running is mental sport.

Sure, you have to make sure you train, eat well, etc., but getting your mind on track is a major battle, too. At least it is for me.

I have a lot of self doubt, when it comes to my athletic prowess. I often admit that there's not much prowess there to begin with. That being said, my attitude needs change dramatically if I want to get through 26.2 with my sanity intact.

My trainer gave me a great quote: "The language you speak creates the reality you live in."

The CliffsNotes? I need to wrap my mind around the fact that I am going to finish a marathon. That needs to be my reality, and I need to treat this entire process as something I am working toward, rather than something that I'm hoping will happen.

So as I continue on with my training, I will be working on my mental mantra: I am a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment